Did you know that a productive, fulfilling life is only a few habit changes away? Here at SimpleRX we scoured the internet and bookstore to come up with some tried and true options to re-setting our routines. While there’s always the option to run the Boston Marathon, we went with five of the simplest considerations. Sometimes the biggest changes start with the smallest steps. In fact, some of these might seem almost too easy to be true. Which means you’ll have much less of an excuse to not try them (smile).
5 Ways to More Productivity and Fulfillment In Your Every Day
- Get Up Earlier: The early bird gets the worm, and guess what? If you set the alarm clock for (gulp) 6am instead of your normal 8, you’ll be the first in the grocery store. You’ll have time to do that thing that you’ve been putting off for weeks. You’ll save frustration of having to rush to get out of the house in a whirlwind frenzy. Getting a jump-start on the day will make you feel like you’re on track – because you If you’re not a morning person reward yourself with a longer shower, a delicious cup of coffee or even a nice walk. See what happens to your mood over time!
- Limit Caffeine: Here’s a real eye opener (no pun intended regarding the caffeine): That extra coffee or soda might make you stay awake and get more done, but you’re less efficient. If you want to feel more human, and less like a results oriented robot, drink less caffeine and start doing more manageable things with your day. You’ll be forced to make hard choices, but guess what? Those choices will be wiser and more meaningful. You’ll be able to sleep better knowing you were more intentional with your life. (Not to mention that less caffeine will bring you back to a more normal sleep pattern, promoting feelings of wellness, happiness and productivity.
- Think Good Thoughts: It’s easier said than done, but every time you get a negative thought, say to yourself: Is it helpful, is it necessary, is it kind? If you can’t answer yes to all three of these questions, it’s just going to weigh you down. Thinking positively takes discipline, but it’s worth it. The amount of time spent ruminating over what can’t be changed can be better spent starting that new business, exercising or being kind to others. Which leads us to #4.
- Be Kind Always: You might wonder what being kind has to do with productivity, but the truth is, studies show that thinking of others over ourselves is the key to well being. Kindness is a real trickledown effect in that in helping the people around us, we’re actually promoting feelings of purpose in ourselves which help us accomplish big personal goals. And even more to the point, things are done better because there is more meaning and thought behind what we do.
- Journal: We’ve written about this before, and we can’t say enough about how journaling is the key to unlocking one’s potential. The daily practice of writing down one’s thoughts helps clear the mind of clutter. It reminds someone to of what is important because, well, if it weren’t they wouldn’t write it down day after day. With journaling, one can make lists, expel negative emotions, write down gratitude lists as well as create pages for their hopes and dreams. It’s been proven that journaling is a real anti-dote to anxiety and depression. With less negative emotions, one can get so much more done with their day.
So, as simple as it might sound to do just one of these, could you do all five? Could you wake up early in the morning and journal with just a few cups of coffee, think positive thoughts and help others? We’d love to know. Even better, it would be great to hear what your top tips are.
Leave a Comment
By Andrea Frazer for SimpleRx
Andrea Frazer is a writer, wife, mom to two Tweens and a rescue dog. Check back for more of her posts and tips on healthy living and healthcare awareness as well as the latest news and savings from SimpleRx Prescription Discount Program.