You never know when you’re going to deal with a flat tire, an earthquake or six tween girls who hopped into your mini-van last minute when the soccer coach came down with Strep. While some things you can’t be prepared for, why not be as organized for possible, whether your emergencies be physical or hormonal? (Tween girls you’ll need more than a First Aid kit for that!)
10 Essentials Every Parent Needs In Their Trunk for Emergencies
- First Aid Kit: Need we say more? Stock it regularly and check the expiration dates. Be sure to include aspirin and any medications you use on a regular basis.
- Sanitary Items: You never know when you’ll need a sanitary napkin, a diaper, toilet and tissue paper. Keep a stash of wet wipes and hand sanitizer also.
- Towels: Have at least three towels (beach, bathroom and wash cloth) along with a roll of paper towels.
- Beach chair: When you’re sitting by the side of the road, you’ll be happy to have a place for your butt other than the curb.
- Change of clothes: Ideally you should keep a spare pair of clothes for every member in your family. If space is an issue (especially with the beach chair!) at least throw in tee shirts and underwear. If you live in cold weather, warm coats are a must.
- Water: One gallon of water will do in a pinch.
- Canned food and can opener: In case you get stranded, have at least 6 cans of chili, soup or beans to keep you going.
- Warm blanket or sleeping bag: If the heat goes out, and its snowing, youll be grateful for the additional layer.
- Flash lights and extra batteries
- Shovels (either for ice or dirt)
Disaster Preparedness for Dummies hits it out of the park when it comes to lifesaving tips, both for your road trips as well as extra-curricular adventures. It’s worth a read or, even better; stick it in your trunk! Knowledge is power especially when the power steering fails and you’re stuck on the frontage road. Safe driving, people!
by Andrea Frazer for SimpleRx
Andrea Frazer is a writer, wife, mom to two Tweens and a rescue dog. Check back for more of her posts and tips on healthy living and healthcare awareness as well as the latest news and savings from SimpleRx Prescription Discount Program.